15-Point Moving Day Checklist
Whenever you are moving during the winter season or maybe a little further down the road, I highly recommend the following 15-point checklist to help you complete your Edmonton move in a stress free way:
- Double check all closets, drawers & shelves in addition to the attic and garage to unsure they are empty.
- Carry important documents, money and jewellery with you.
- Pack toys, games books for the kids to keep them busy during the move.
- Remember to pack a box of basics that you may need on the move in day (hand tools, paper products, all purpose household cleaners, etc). Be sure to have them loaded last so they will be available first at your new home.
- Don't pack paint, bleach, gas cans or inflammables. It's against the law for movers to transport these combustible materials.
Use strong boxes & containers which can be secured tightly. Purchase special boxes for dishes, wardrobes and other special items.
- Pack audio-video equipment in their original boxes. Label cables and tighten transit screws. Before removing cables, take pictures of the back of the unit so you can hook everything back up the same way. If removing screws, tape them to the objections they were removed from.
- Avoid loading more than 50 lbs (23 kg) into one box. Your movers & their backs will thank you!
- Label each box and indicate the following: which room it should go in, whether it's fragile and if it should be loaded last so it can be unloaded first.
- Cushion contents with packing materials such as bubble wrap, newspaper or paper towel. Save room by using towels and blankets to wrap fragile items.
- Pack books tightly on end in small boxes. If they are musty smelling, sprinkle talcum powder between the pages and wrap the books before packing. Leave them stored for a couple of months to eliminate the smell.
- Have rugs & draperies cleaned before moving and leave them in wrappings for the move.
- Pack medicines in plastic reusable zipper storage bags or leak proof containers.
- Check the weather forecast for your move day. If it's going to be hot, be sure to have a cooler with lots of bottled water and sports drinks on ice. Don't forget the movers as they also get thirsty plus they are handling your stuff. They will really appreciate it.
- Call your moving company the day before your move to get a contact number for the crew in case you need to contact them en route. Give your mover your cell number & be sure it's fully charged the night before your moving day.
Hopefully, these tips will help with "The Big Day" for a stress free move. If you have anything to add, please let me know as I always like to get more ideas.