10 Tips Before Listing Your Edmonton Property
If you’re thinking of listing your Edmonton home to take advantage of this fall market, then now’s the time to get it in shape. Here are ten things you can do to maximize its perceived value.
1. Talk to a REALTOR® (me please). Even if you feel that your home is in perfect condition, it’s a good idea to have a professional REALTOR® look at your property. They may suggest simple changes or repairs that could help you sell your home quicker.
2. Crank up the curb appeal. Make sure when potential buyers pull up in front of your house they like what they see. Touch up exterior paint and tidy up your garden, cut your grass, etc. First impressions are huge.
3. Clean up your act. The cleaner your house, the better it will show so thoroughly clean every room in the house. Get curtains and carpets professionally cleaned. Don't forget to handrails, light switch plates, litter boxes and pickup backyard doggie-doo (even in the snow).
4. Clear out the clutter. Make rooms look bigger by getting rid of the clutter. Put extra furniture and items in a storage locker, garage or neatly in a unfinished basement corner.
5. Nix the knick-knacks. As buyers walk through your home, they want to picture themselves living there. Remove your personal effects, knickknacks, family photos and collectibles. Sometime, too many collectibles are a negative.
6. Do a quick fix. Fix a dripping faucet, update handles on kitchen cabinets, replace light switches and touch up scratches on hardwood floors & paint.
7. Let the sun shine in. Buyers appreciate good light in a home. Clean the windows, remove dark curtains and put in higher wattage light bulbs (don't exceed manufacturer's maximum wattage).
8. Keep it neutral. A fresh coat of neutral paint will make rooms look clean and inviting. You may not have to repaint every room, but certainly ones that are chipped, marked or painted in bright colors. No purple or lime green walls, please!
9. Set the stage. Consider hiring a professional stager to turn your home into a true showpiece. I highly recommend Jill Gargus from Simply Irresistible Interiors, an highly experienced & local home stager.
10.Create more storage space. Look at ways to improve the storage space in your home, such as adding shelving to closets and storage rooms. Remove 50% of items in your closets to make them look HUGE.