Tried Light Blocking Curtains in Your Edmonton Home?
In your Edmonton home, light blocking curtains, sometimes known as blackout curtains or lined blackout curtains, can be a very appealing and functional interior design touch. Once you understand the main elements involved in choosing your light blocking curtains, you'll be able to successfully install and utilize them to maximum effectiveness. With our almost 20 hours of Edmonton summer daylight, you may learn a few tips.
- Take Measurements: Blackout curtains, drapes or blackout window curtains come from the factory in many different sizes, shapes and styles. Since the main purpose of these curtains is to perform the function of blocking out daylight, it's essential to take accurate measurements around all of the windows and glass doors in which you intend to hang them. You need to always measure a little wider and lower so that the drapes extend past the corners, bottoms, and sides of the glass where all possible outdoor light can come in.
- Are they Dark Enough?: Blackout curtains come in several colors. But they're all usually dark enough to serve the purpose of blocking the light out of your home, apartment or condominium. If you're buying them because you want to be able to sleep comfortably during the day when the sun's bright, then you should carefully choose the darkest color you can find, as this will successfully block out more sunlight than lighter versions. But if all you want to do is block out the often blinding glare of the sun that's coming into your living room, you can go with a lighter color to match your interior decor.
- Materials and Textures: Many of these lined blackout curtains are made of heavy-duty thermal material since thermal textures are more efficient at blocking out the strong, harsh rays of the sun. You have to understand that when this type of material gets dirty from dust and other airborne pollutants, you'll have to eventually clean them. This will often mean removing them and taking them over to the dry cleaner, as household steam cleaners usually aren't effective enough for a thorough cleaning and a full disinfecting procedure. But the many benefits of these heavy, rugged textures also include keeping out the intense heat of the sun in summer time, saving on your air conditioning energy consumption costs, and helping prevent the sun from color fading of your carpets and furniture, especially the leather, velour and suede variety.
- Price: You can find these blackout curtains selling for a wide variety of prices depending on which brand you buy and from which online or physical retail location you choose to purchase at. Wider, longer and heavier ones will always cost more. So will ones with custom designs and weaved patterns on them. These are the upscale, high end brands. Many homeowners are content to buy the least expensive, simplest designs and just color coordinate the curtains with their carpet, hardwood floors, wall coverings, and sofas. Well priced light blocking curtains are also going to be incredibly durable. They won't fade due to the strong sun hitting into them all day long, so they make an excellent household investment.
- Versatility: Because light blocking curtains can be used in so many home window applications, they have become very popular over the years since they first came out. Blackout window curtains can be used instead of ordinary blinds to block out much more sunlight. They're certainly ten times better than even the darkest standard curtains. And these light blocking curtains can be installed over either windows that rise vertically or over ones that roll inward towards the room. They can also be used on sliding glass doors that lead to patios, porches and decks.
If you have more ideas about light blocking curtains for your Edmonton home, please let me know thru my contact page.