There are Advantages to Buying a Home in Edmonton's Winter
Here’s some advantages to buying a home during the off season in Edmonton, which means that you’ll be buying from November to February.
1. Less competition …. There is less competition from other buyers. Many buyers don’t want to brave the cold and icy roads by driving the neighbourhoods and looking for properties during this time of the year. This can translate into lower prices and better deals for the buyer.
2. Prices decline …. Prices are typically less this time of the year, proven by the statistics from the REALTORS® Association of Edmonton (RAE) and from Realtor.ca.
3. More time from your REALTOR®….. Your real estate agent isn’t as busy this time of the year, you may get more of their time and expertise (so true compared to the busy spring rush).
4. Not as many properties are receiving multiple offers …. During the summer season of 2012, many houses in Edmonton that were priced correctly had multiple offers on them, which translated into higher prices for the seller. All great news for sellers, not such great news for buyers. There is an emotional trigger than happens in multiple offers, and buyers can sometime offer more for the house than they had originally planned on.
5. Ugly Ducklings….. Some houses that are still on the market in December and January may have been on the market for a long, long time. This could be for a variety of reason, including the home has been overpriced. Or it could just be that the property doesn’t show well, it’s an ugly duckling. Maybe it’s too crowded with personal belongings, maybe the interior paint colour is horrible, maybe the lighting is bad, or maybe the home is dirty. All of these are easy things to fix once you own the property, and if you can look through these items, you may be able to get an ever better deal.
Now is a great time to buy. A few years ago, I viewed the existing house which I live in a between Christmas & New Years & had it pending by first week of January. I know I saved money as they "had" to sell & there wasn't many qualified buyers looking in the cold. Good for Mike, the buyer & bad for the sellers. There are many other great deals out there right now! If you are thinking about buying in the spring, why wait? Shop now & save. Contact me thru my website or call me direct 780-242-5229 & I'll show you some great deals.